Sunday 9 September 2007

1977 Top 20

As a slight interlude I thought I would have a look at what was in the charts in the UK exactly 30 years ago.

There is quite a scary revelation as those who are top of the charts today probably weren’t even born then. There are two charts now made up of ‘downloads’ and purchased hardcopy stuff plus the Indie, R’n’B, Dance, Rock etc charts .30 years ago it was just the top 20 7” singles (if there were more charts I don’t recall now but the Top 20 was all that mattered in my circle) and I am not sure whether 12 inch singles or cassettes were out then either.




I would play my records on a small record player, which was in a red case with cream trim.

Now it is all on iPods, MP3 players, mobile phones. I can’t remember when my teen last bought a CD it is all purchased on line direct to her PC. I recall when she got her first MP3 player a couple of years ago and the pressure I was under to set it up, synchronise media player etc ... gosh I had never even held an MP3 before never mind getting one all singing and dancing in a nanosecond!!

Anyhow here is the top 20 on 10th September 1977

  1. Elvis Presley ~ Way Down
  2. Space ~ Magic Fly
  3. Floaters ~Float On
  4. Jean Michel Jarre ~Oxygen Part 4
  5. Donna Summer ~ Deep Down Inside
  6. Brotherhood of Man ~Angelo
  7. Candi Staton ~ Nights on Broadway
  8. David Soul ~ Silver Lady
  9. Denise Williams ~ That is what Friends are for
  10. Carly Simon ~ Nobody Does it Better
  11. Rods ~ Do Anything You Want to Do
  12. Showaddywaddy ~ You Got What it Takes
  13. Rah Band ~ The Crunch
  14. Thin Lizzy ~ Dancing in The Moonlight
  15. The Steve Gibbons Band ~ Tulane
  16. Meri Wilson ~ Telephone Man
  17. Boomtown Rats ~ Looking After Number One
  18. Rita Coolridge ~ We’re All Alone
  19. Adverts ~Gary Gilmour’s Eyes
  20. Mink de Ville ~ Spanish Stroll
This is todays chart The Official chart & Download chart
1 Sean Kingston ~ Beautiful Girls 1.Sean Kingston ~ Beautiful Girls
2 Plain White Ts ~ Hey there Delilah 2. Kayne West ~ Stronger
3 Kayne West ~ Stronger
3.Plain White Ts ~ Hey there Delilah
4 James Blunt ~ 1973
4. Robyn with Kleerup ~ with Every Heartbeat
5. Girls Aloud ~ No no no sexy 5. Rhianna ~ Shut up and Drive
6. Rhianna ~ Shut up and Drive
6. James Blunt ~ 1973

7. Robyn with Kleerup ~ with Every Heartbeat
7. 50 Cent/J Timberlake ~ Ayo Technology
8. 50 Cent/J Timberlake ~ Ayo Technology
8. Gym Class Heroes ~ Clothes Off

9. Scouting for Girls ~She’s so Lovely
9. Timberland ft Keri Hilson
~ The Way I Are
10.Timberland ft Keri Hilson~ The Way I Are
10. Newton Faulkner ~ Dream Catch me



The sorry thing is I know most of the song on here from 30 years ago and I know half from the list released today.

Two things happened as I have been writing this

First and as if by magic as I was looking at the top 10 of today my teen appeared and said ‘ I’ve got that, that, that, oh and that, on my iPod, I need to get that, hate that one it is rubbish’ then disappeared iPod in hand!!

And second my next door neighbour called round with a demo of her son's band they have been signed up with a record company and are about to launch, so we had a long conversation about 'downloads' and the music business. He is one who was not around 30 years ago, in fact when we moved in our house 20 years ago he was 2 and he used to call round to chat with me sat on our garden bench drinking squash!!! Must remind him when he is a mega star all the years of drumming I suffered through the adjoining wall ...................







5 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is all too depressing ...... who are all these people?
Actually I met the bass player from the 'Kooks' the other day ..... well when I say met, I saw him at the computer shop in Brighton, mumbled something about 'what an odd looking chap' and the nice young man selling me lappytop told me who he was. It was terribly exciting.

70steen said...

ooo I love the Kooks....can you get his autograph next time please my teen would be delighted.

I am chuckling here to myself, my statcounter has gone up alot today and it is peeps looking up the current top 10. How bitterly disappointed they must be when they land in here :-)

Blizzard said...

Lol how strange is this... a blogger who appears to have stolen all my memories of the 1970's and placed them here!!! What a great blog! I stumbled in here whilst 'googling' what tracks to put on a 70s cd compilation for the car! I am an aging metalhead at heart but have an unofficial love for all those 70's pop classics (Racey, Mud, Pilot, Bay City Rollers etc!) just don't tell anyone! :-) Many the time I would sit clued to the tv in the 1970's watching Top of the Pops! For too long that decade has been to easily dismissed as unfashionable (especially the clothes and hair!) or the decade that taste forgot! Personally I think it was the Decade of Fun (we had The Wombles on Top of the Pops!) and putting aside the power cuts, bread shortages and industrial action it was the time when people knew how to have a good time (Beer from a large tin anyone? :-)) Glad to see you mentioned Robinson Crusoe which seemed to be on every school summer holiday forever... until at least 1982! I bought it many years ago on VHS (checking Play.com its now out on DVD too!). Rentaghost ,Striker, Children of the Stones, Ghosts of Motley Hall, The Changes, Vision On, Cheggers plays Pop...... kids today don't know what they missed! So many memories so little time!!

70steen said...

Hi Lord Hagan

Thank you for dropping by .... wow thanks for the compliment & I don't think I have been on a first before ?
I have dropped by your blog and left a little message and added you to my blogroll too.
I have had such a chuckle as I have been delving into my diaries and memory banks. It certainly was great fun being a teen then.
Welcome to blogworld long may you post :-)

Blizzard said...

Hi 70steen

Thanks for dropping by my 'Infant Blog' and being the first to post a comment..... yet another first for you!

Its a real shame I didn't keep a diary in the 70s like you, however I do have a very good memory so its the next best thing!

Its funny but after years of neglect I hooked up my record player today just after compiling my 70s CD compilation (I was very close to putting Puppy Love on it as I loved that as a kid! Will save that for Volume 2!).

Its funny how nostalgic the crackle, click and pop of vinyl can make you feel! You can even accept the odd jump as well, as the needle finds a scratch the size of the Grand Canyon!

You can't beat the slight musty smell of record cover sleeves either!

Must go... work needs me... well I make them think that anyway!!

Oh and my comment 'If anyone can do a blog then why not me' was a general comment and was certainly not implying anything about your blog!