Sunday 16 September 2007

1977 December

In 1977 my best friend ‘J’ was already in her second foundation year at Art College. It was quite cool having an older mate at college as I got to do more mature stuff ….. namely partying, pubs & clubbing it.

I was never asked to show ID in any venue as a teen because I looked and acted older than my youthful years, thankfully that has reversed a bit now I am older and although I feel 40 something I have been told I don’t look or behave like a 40 something (lol).

I would call at the Art College after school (following a quick change out of uniform of course) to meet ‘J’ and grab a quick coffee or something to eat.

On this one occasion I noticed this boy looking at me from across the studio. ‘J’ introduced me to him and I thought little more about it after that.

In Novemeber‘J’ and I went to the Art College Do at the Midnight Lounge attached to the Southport Theatre.

It was a ‘Black & White’ do. It was really good fun and that night the ‘boy’ was there too.

On the 15th December we started dating.

What my Mum thought about this romance I can only now imagine being a parent of a teen. Her tactic was to let it be hoping, I suspect, it would fizzle out but it took 7 years for that to happen!!

For the purposes of this blog I will call him …….? Gosh I can’t think of a name that would suit him. I’ll let you know about what I decide in my next post.

So all the good intentions of keeping my head down and studying a hard for my O’levels went totally down hill. A whole brave new world opened up for me, like a kid in a sweet shop…….. I have scanned through the two 1978 diaries tonight (yes 2 diaries! Why? I have no idea) and I am amazed at the late hours I kept, the places I went to and the total lack of dedication I had in studying for my exams………… (oh how I have to keep this fixed in my head when my teen is doing her G.C.S.E.s!!!)

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

You really can't write "good intentions of keeping my head down" without expecting some comment - just thought I'd warn you.

Anonymous said...

....followed a little further down by "oh how I have to keep this fixed in my head"...... it's a minefield!

70steen said...

Good Morning DP ... glad you are in fine fettle.... of course I have no idea what you are on about :-)

Anonymous said...

Ok - to put it bluntly ....... sorry, got to go, telephone's ringing.

70steen said...

I am waiting ???????

Anonymous said...

It's going to be a long one ....... sorry

70steen said...

So I see!!!!