Sunday 20 January 2008

20th January 1979

Saturday 20
Got up at 10.00
Work 11.00 - 5.00 £4.00 wages
Met 'J' at lunch time
Got home washed my hair & had a bath
Went to Follies with Sam, my brother, Bev & Stan
Had a row with Sam over that stupid girl
Every time I went to the loo & came back she was all over him
I don't know what I am going to do? (
give her a smack that might work!!! No of course I wouldn't!!!)



Coincidentally today I received an email from a family friend in Ontario about the 70s so it gives my scanner a rest this evening as I will post this.

IF YOU WERE A GIRL IN THE 70'S...
You had that Fisher Price Doctor's Kit
with a stethoscope that actually worked.

We used to play doctors & nurses a lot in the early 70s (not yet a teen then). I had a plastic kit similar to this but my stethoscope certainly didn't work. My friend Fi had actual pill bottles full of sweets .... it just wouldn't happen these days (for one you could never open the darned things)

you owned a bicycle with a banana seat and a plastic basket with flowers on it.


no such luck I had to have a sensible bike with a basket and a handy case on the back called a 'shopper bike' ........ so embarrassing it was a bit like being made to wear sensible fitted Clarks shoes when your friends had fashion shoes, or the time my mum made me get ski pants with stirrups under the feet when bell bottoms had just started to be fashionable !!!

You learned to skate with actual skates (not roller blades) that had metal wheels
Loved skating (still do) both roller and ice....... but no roller boots for me in the 70s we have extendable ones which you had to get the wrench on to undo and secure the nut underneath. They lasted for ages because as your feet grew so did the skate .... at least mine had rubber wheels though


You thought Gopher from Love Boat was cute (admit it!)

I am admitting nothing !!

You had nightmares after watching Fantasy Island
.

possibly !!!!!!

You had either a 'bowl cut' or 'pixie', not to mention the 'Dorothy Hamill'.
People sometimes thought you were a boy
.
what did I say in a post a day or two back 'had my hair cut really short' & my Teen calls it 'man hair '

You owned 'Klick-Klacks' and smacked yourself in the face more than once


They were called 'Clackers' over here and my right wrist was always bandaged up due to severe bruising of 'God's notch'

Your Holly Hobbie sleeping bag was your most prized possession.


No sleeping bag but remember copying the drawings of Hollie Hobbit

You wore a poncho, gauchos, and knickers.

I had one like this in red with white tassles lol

I think you will find we called thses cullottes and the tight legged one knickerbockers

You had the Donnie and Marie dolls with those pink and purple satiny shredded outfits

Oh what I would I have given to have a Donny doll .....swooon

You had a pair of Doctor Scholl's sandals (the ones with hard sole & the buckle).
ooooo I have horrid memories over these shoes involving sunbathing, discarded broken glass and a severely slashed top of my left foot ... several stitches later and a hell of a lot of pain has meant I can't wear certain shoes even now.

PONG! ('video tennis' ) was the most remarkable futuristic game you've ever heard of !


Brilliant but I don't think we called it PONG!

You completely wore out your Grease, Saturday Night Fever, and Fame soundtrack record album.
You tried to do lots of arts and crafts, like yarn and Popsicle-stick God's eyes, decoupage,
or those weird potholders made on a plastic loom.

You made Shrinky-Dinks and put iron-on kittens on your t-shirts!

Don't know what Shrinky Dinks were but certainly I was iron- on queen

You used to tape record songs off the radio by holding your portable tape player up to the speaker.

hee hee oh yes!!! But then panicked as it was illegal lol

You glopped your lips in Strawberry Roll-on lip-gloss till it dripped off
It was a big event in your household each year when the 'Wizard of Oz' would come on TV.
You and your girlfriends would fight over which of the Dukes of Hazzard was your boyfriend.
Your hairstyle was described as having 'wings' or 'feathers' and you kept it 'pretty'
with the comb you kept in your back pocket.
When you walked, the 'wings' flapped up and down, looked like you were gonna 'take off'
You spent hours in your backyard on your metal swing set in with tent pegs The swing set tipped over at least once.

24 comments:

Cowgirl Betty said...

Oh dear . . . I am guilty of all of the above, except I owned a Princess Leah doll instead of Donny and Marie.

I had the Dorthy Hamill cut as well, but could never feather my hair : (

tNb said...

Guilty on all counts, your honour. However my dolls of choice included at least one Bionic Man and one Vinnie Barbarino.

I always loved Saturday night TV! Love Boat followed by Fantasy Island was guaranteed to entertain, although I thought Vicky Stubing was grotesque.

Anonymous said...

Only the culottes ... okay, maybe a poncho too.

Daddy Papersurfer said...

I am so glad I'm a tad older.

Did have a pair of Dr Scholl's though - they were fantastic, wore them 'til the leather perished.

Anonymous said...

oh 70s what are you doing to me? all those horrible memories of the bowlcut my mother used to give me.

followed by the stage when she used to put those hideous metal butterfly clips all over my hair to give me waves

oh I'm getting a migraine just thinking about it....

70steen said...

Apologies Gals if I am disturbing some dust to reveal stuff!! lol
CGB- have you still got your Princess Leah? I believe Star Wars stuff is worth a bob or 2!

tNb- Had to look up who Vinnie B was. I am afraid that programme is completely off my radar. Just loved the Bionic Man great series Staurday night tea time viewing.

NM - ooops sorry. I remeber my mum making me sleep with rags in my hair to make me have ringlets ... how cruel. ( I wonder what my Teen will about me in the future eeek)


Dp- you do like your sandals don't you !!!

70steen said...

Oh Azahar nice confession to poncho wearing ......I think every one had one of some description I know I did make one out of a woollen blanket once as well as having the shop bought tartan one

Sugarqueensdream said...

In 1971 I became a teen, Good memories here and there. I loved my 8 track player,bell bottoms and halter top....
Peace~~

Ryan said...

4 pounds an hour in 1979.

I never realized this was a diary of a rich 70s teen. ;)

70steen said...

Sugar Q Thank you for the award..... I am supposed to be studying just now so I will pop along later to pick it up
Hugz :-)

70steen said...

Rybu - hee hee my blondness must be rubbing off on you ... it was £4.00 for 6 hours work ... alas no rich teen here or adult come to think of it lol :-)

tNb said...

What?? You didn't have "Welcome Back Kotter" ?!? A shame, just a crying shame ...

70steen said...

I certainly haven't come across 'Welcome Back Kotter' but that is not to say it wasn't over here at some stage ????

Cowgirl Betty said...

TNB-I remember Welcome Back Kotter with John Travolta!!

I also named my teddy Cocoa after the gal on Fame and I also wanted to be a Solid Gold dancer with their gold lamme undies and batwing blouses.

70s-Yes, I still have my Princess Leah doll--but sans clothes. At least my mother didn't let cut Leah's hair to use as a Ken doll in a pinch.

Daddy Papersurfer said...

I knew she wasn't just going to say one word .........

Cowgirl Betty said...

As Hun would say, I can say just one word . . . as long as it is the last word in edgewise . . .

Ryan said...

Great now I have the Welcome Back Kotter Theme song stuck in my head.

70steen said...

see what you have done now Rybu.... I had to go and take a look se on You Tube and now I have the little tuney in my head lol
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVS3WNt7yRU

tNb said...

70s, you beat me to it!! Ah, the days of John Travolta before he discovered disco and before he got all puffy.

70steen said...

hee hee tNb I just had to find out what this Kotter rage was about :-)

Do you reckon he got all puffy ... he looked pretty cool in Pulp Fiction & Be Cool ... he was bad in Boy in a Bubble though lol

tNb said...

He'll always be Vinnie to me ...

Annie Mouse said...

i still have my clackers they are black and white in colour.

i nearly got a jackie annual once but my friend got to it before me, didn't you. which i thought was really unfair as it is my name.

Annie Mouse said...

i have ciney film of me in my poncho. scarey.

i used to love going to the newsagents just past the church in the village after school and buy these chocolate eggs, they were white or brown on the outside but solid chocolate on the inside and it was like a gobstopper they took ages to eat. and also used to buy midget gems from there as well. sherbet lemons for my mum as well.

70steen said...

Hey Jacks you made it here yippeee...... Yes I know you wanted the Jackie Annual but I NEEDED it lol

The newsagents was called the 'Outer Limits shop' as it was the only place you could buy the cards

You have to get that cine film put on DVD it would be so funny