Tuesday 16 June 2009

16 seems so long ago (that is because it is!!)

As I mentioned yesterday it is my Teen's 16th Birthday today.

My 16th was on a Tuesday too.
That year Mull of Kintyre was number one in the UK charts & Crown Court was the one to watch on day time TV.
For my birthday I went to the La Fontana (an Italian restuarant), got 19 cards but eventually 22.
My presents were 'How Deep is your Love' single by The Bee Gees, Lip Gloss, Talc (does anyone get given 'talc' for a pressy now to anyone under the age of 80?), a diary, a basket box with Charlie perfume in it, £10 off Mum, £5 of her b/f, £3.00 off my brother and Auntie and silver bracelet off Sam which cost £8.50.....

Quote from the diary 'The meal was ACE. Had orange juice, sirloin steak, mushrooms etc., fresh fruit salad & cream, coffee, all together it cost £9.45... ( I am thinking it must have been just Sam & I and that was the total cost of the meal for 2 of us lol)... got home at 10.15 pm.

Today for Teen's 16th the UK number one is Pixie Lott with 'Mama Do' ? and the day time programmes to watch (according to Teen) are Jeremy Kyle, Golden Balls, Loose Women & Flog it.
From me she got her first Radley handbag (which I bought in the sales .. don't tell her), clothes (which amazingly she really likes), transfer tattoos, make up and some bits and bobs. After our holiday she wants her belly button pierced (I have fought this off for about 5 years now saying 'when you are 16' hoping she will forget about it ... but alas no!).
She has had a new hair do this afternoon paid by her bessy mate, and her b/f and family have bought her pyjamas and tickets to see James Morrison in November (so jealous lol). We have put £90 sent in cheques in the bank and she has a stack of pressies on the lounge coffee table from her mates. Oh and there will be more pressies when we visit family at the weekend...
They have all trailed off (about 10 of them ..) in very high heels to have a chinese all you can eat buffet. Teen looked gorgeous and so grown up ....

oh to be 16 again ... :0)

18 comments:

Carlito86 said...

She's very pretty, hope she has a great day! xx

70steen said...

Thank you GwtGT... she is my pride and joy and she has had a brilliant day :-)

Daddy Papersurfer said...

Does everyone have to wear pyjamas to a James Morrison concert?

gitwizard said...

Happy Birthday to your Teen. Just be thankful she's not blogging yet, you'd never see the lappy, I guess at that age Facebook is the thing, can't be doin with all that social network stuff, I don't have enough time to answer emails!

Anonymous said...

she's gorgeous - a dark haired version of her mum

70steen said...

DP ~ I believe it is compulsory at the Manchester gig!!

70steen said...

Thank you GW ~ no she doesn't blog but there is MySpace, Bebo, Facebook, MSN & they are the ones I know about lol

70steen said...

aw NM thank you.... she has just gone chocolate brown and I think it does actually suit her.. it makes her eyes look so blue :-)

Expat mum said...

Aren't they gorgeous!? I posted about my Queenager's 16th (which I had to miss), but she had an ace time, dancing on a bar where the resident group had rehearsed and played a song just for her.
Yesterday we shopping together (a rare thing for me) and she insisted we tried on matching halter neck summer dresses. Funny how the same dress can look so different on a mum and teenage daughter! (I didn't buy it.)

John C said...

(runs giggling to the age progression sites to see just what 70s looks like)

:)

It's good to be the bad boy sometimes. :)

(Very beautiful daughter, 70s. Mine just turned 16, know the feelings, lol)

Daddy Papersurfer said...

Just in case you don't know - YOU'RE ON YOUR HOLS!!! [repeated message for the hard of hearing]

70steen said...

ExPat Mum Hi :-)

'Queenager' oh I had forgotten your most fabulous name for 'fem Teen's'.. it so sums them up.
OMG you were allowed to try on the same dress ? I don't think I would want that challenge I would feel so old in comparison... maybe I should try it the other way around and find something that Teen says 'that would look good on you' instead.
Must pop over for a visit to you
:-)

70steen said...

hee hee John ... Teen is far more prettier than I have ever been .... belated Happy Birthday to your Teen :-)

70steen said...

DP ~ what did you say??? *snigger*

Lizza said...

Belated happy birthday to your beautiful teen! I wonder, with the benefit of hindsight, if you could go back in time to when you turned 16, what would you do differently? :-)

My own teen (a boy who grows a millimeter every month, or so it seems) turned 16 in March.

70steen said...

Hi Lizza.... fabulous photo of your son :-)... my Teen I hope has stopped growing.. I remember not so long ago she stood at my shoulder now the tables have turned and I am a MiniMum.. she is almost 5ft 9" tall.
I know what I would have done differently at 16 if I had the time again.. I would have gone to art college and not the taken stupid exams I opted to do... life would have been so different ....how about you??

Lizza said...

Teenagers nowadays seem so much taller than they were several decades ago, jeez.

If I could go back to that time again (I was a high school senior at 16) I'd make the time for more fun. Studies here (and most other parts of Asia) are too b*tchingly ridiculous.

70steen said...

same here Lizza .. too many exams when all you want to do is have fun... I wonder when the powers that be will recognise that 16 is not a god time to test your knowledge and understanding because you can not be ar*ed at that age lol :-)