Tuesday 6 May 2008

7th May 1979

Monday 7
Sam woke me up at 10.15 with a sock! (oh how romantic)
Stayed in all day cos weather = grotty
He left at 6.40 to get the 7.21 train at Liverpool

I won't see him for 2 weeks

Fi came round 8.30 -
11.00
Had a good natter

Whilst flicking through the 'Top Pop Scene' annual published 1975, I came across these guys.


I hadn't realised that these guys were about way before I was born.
During the 70s they found great fame with their groovy dance moves and music.
They were originally called 'The Spinners' but in the UK there was already a band called the Spinners from my home town of Liverpool so in the UK they got the name Detroit Spinners or Motown Spinners.
I have always thought Motown sounds were so cool and that has not diminished over the years.

From my youth in the 70s I recall there massive UK hit written, produced and directed by Stevie Wonder "It's a Shame"


Can't even tell you how many times that the dancing shoes have been on for this one!!
Oh and this one too


after they left Motown they produced these

How fabulous is this (this was a time when bands sang live on Top of the Pops)

And this is my all time favourite 'I'll be around' ....... fantastic :-)


If your toes are not tapping now then nothing will make 'em :-)
A great tonic for mid week

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

now I'll be humming "I'll be around" all day at work

70steen said...

& toe tapping too :-)

Anonymous said...

I totally loved this group (Spinners to me as I lived in the States). I think they did "Rubberband Man" the lyrics of which never did make sense, but I got the 45 as a present for my 13th birthday.

Daddy Papersurfer said...

How did Sam wake you up with a sock? My mind is boggling ..........

Anonymous said...

I thought your mind was permanently boggled daddyp

Daddy Papersurfer said...

I wouldn't deny that ....... particularly here - tee hee

Ryan said...

Detroit. Now thats my neck of the woods!

70steen said...

HI Anniegirl ~ yes they did Rubberband Man. I quite agree what was that all about??? lol :-)

70steen said...

DP ~ I reckon it wasn't a romantic awakening... probably yesterdays smelly sock

70steen said...

NM~ great observation as always lol :-)

70steen said...

Ah yes Rybu they came from Michigan ... great sounds :-)