Friday 19 February 2010

Charity begins at.....

A few weeks ago I was helping Mum sort out a few things. She had some bags already to go to the charity shop so I said I would take them for her.
Many weeks on they were still in the boot (trunk for my across the pond readers) of my car. As I have had a couple of days off work this week I actually had time to have a look at what was in there.
Blimey most of the stuff was only fit for the bin, but my Mum the age she is and the era she was born in has the stock expression of 'some one will be glad of them'. Which is fair comment if you want well used stainless steel salad serving bowl and dishes, an old wicker basket to put your dried flowers, some lethal chopping device bought off a shopping channel, a snow globe that has lost half its water etc etc ........

However, in there was also this

a Commodore 776M I popped a battery in it and my god it still works. It belonged(s) to my brother as he has scratched his name and address on the back with a compass I guess.
The other gem that had me laughing my socks off was this


Nurse Myra has Corset Friday .. so I am having a Kaftan Friday (Circa 1980 bought in Thailand)
**************************************
I am having a wobble as to where I live... I thought we were at war the other morning when I saw this sign at my local train station (you know how they did this sort of thing in WW2 in case the Germans invaded?? I think my council are expecting aliens ...)... the sign is real not an internet thing!

11 comments:

nursemyra said...

love the kaftan! the sign looks like a game of hangman played by someone with dyslexia

Daddy Papersurfer said...

Blimey - having trouble with my wireless connection - it's only taken 10 minutes to leave this comment [which I've now forgotten!]....... oh yes ....... you can get lost in a Kaftan ...... very confusing ...... and yes, that sign is very odd and suspicious ........

John C said...

Seriously, is that local understood code? Wondering if it's Japanese written with a pen, no pun intended.

70steen said...

Dear NM ~ the kaftan is really awfully retro so I have kept it from going to the charity shop ....

70steen said...

DP ~ oh blimey you are having connection problems .. I thought it was just oop Norff as my internet has been awful these past few days .. this post took forever to do .. I managed 3 cups of Earl Grey waiting for it to load .....

Kaftans are actually a great invention as they cover all lumps and bumps and no one knows how big or small you are on the inside ...

The sign is now starting to worry me even more I may have to post it on FB and see if any locals have an idea about it

70steen said...

JC ~ it is not a langiage I understand and I live ooop here ....
saying that I have only lived here 25 years so am a new comer!!!

Daddy Papersurfer said...

You've lived there a 1/3 of your life!!!! ....... blimey *tee heeing*

70steen said...

Cheeky :P

fracas said...

Any idea if there's a site out there with photos of the real signs from WW2? Now you've got me interested. ;-)

The kaftan will be great for lounging in after a bath!

<3

fracas said...

Hi sis... just stopping to leave a little hug.

<3

70steen said...

Hi Dear Frac sis.. I have sent the message to my bro who has friends in China so maybe soon we will have the mystery resolved ...

Thank you for the hugz.. hope you are ok and hugz back ;-) xx