Saturday 7 July 2007

'tis 1975


I am giving this year a different approach than 1974. Really because the diary is tiny and there are only a couple of lines per entry. The ‘Master’ diary has a couple of 1975 entries so if they are worthy (& not too embarrassing) I will add them.

The tiny brown diary, in essence, is smattered with my ‘love’ for a 5th form boy. For the sake on anonymity I will call him Pete.
This I suspect was my first real crush, the others before were just fancies (I see this with my teenage daughter and her friends, a different boy is ‘cute’ almost daily… & certainly 1974 showed that too. I wonder if with out the diaries I would have remembered that?)

Anyhow back to Pete. He was a good-looking lad I recall with blonde hair and quite a stocky build (most unusual for me as I am usually attracted to men with dark hair and the lads I mentioned in ’74 had just that).

These are (a few) of the extracts about him from the diary (chronologically):

Phoned Pete but he was out, he rang back at 10.00 pm
Went into town saw Pete don’t think he was pleased to see me.
Pete was a great laugh today he kept putting his arms around me
(The next day) Pete was a bit quiet today, he told me he fancies Jane (Gutted what a b*****d)
Pete has been really sweet to me, he has also been a big tease too but I enjoy it
Played footy with Pete. He is being so nice lately.
Pete was very nice to me today, every time he sees me he gives me a big hug. He got kicked off the bus but told me he wants to go out with me
Pete got kicked off the bus again. I waited with him at the bus stop till next bus came
Pete went to the cop shop for shoplifting. (obviously he was a good lad!!!!)
Pete was acting strangely, I him if he still liked me and he shouted ‘yes of course I do’
Pete was nice to me today. Mum has told me to keep away from him but she won’t say why. (smart words Mum but did I listen????? Ermmmm !!)
Pete put his arms round me and kissed me
Pete has been suspended for throwing stuff during his G.C.E. exams
Pete is back and he has a new jacket with black checks yuk!!
Had a row with Pete he is going out with this new girl at school. (C'est la vie!)

& there I will end the sorry tale of Pete. I will give no further mention of him in my tales of 1975, but I guess you can guarentee there will be more boys mentioned!

However, amusingly me some 10 years later, I was working as a manager for a high street store in Newcastle and I was sent home for a Christmas posting. Whilst sorting out a till discrepancy with a member of staff in walks Pete. I nearly died. He was ‘much’ stockier and he had lost most of his blonde hair … and I swear that he had that same black checked jacket on. I think the till girl thought I had lost it as I ducked down behind the counter pretending I had dropped a non existent pen.

No comments: