Saturday 7 July 2007

1975 A life long passion begins


It was during this year that I cemented the foundation for my passion of Art, which has served my creativity extremely well over the years. Encouraged by my art teacher, I joined (on my own) Saturday Morning Art Class at the local Tech.

I started with fashion design as I was always sketching out designs for clothes and making awful creations. I recall Bill Tidys daughter was in the same class too, who was really nice (can’t remember if she was good at drawing but I bet she was quick).

It was good but a bit quiet for me particularly as I could hear hoots of laughter coming from the next classroom. I made enquiries and found it was the pottery class. I instantly swapped.


What a fabulous decision that was, not only was it a medium that is great to work with, I also met a girl called ‘J’. Quickly we realized we lived in the same road, there were a couple of years difference in our age and she was new to the area after moving from Belfast, oh and we went to the same school. Without that class swap I would never have met my life long friend. We have been through thick and thin over the past 32 years, cried laughing in each others company unable to speak for ages as the tears roll, and we have provided comfort for each other in the dark days that occur through life. It is hard to express the love and friendship we have except to say we are female soulmates & we have often mused to the thought if ever found our male equivalents life would be perfect.

Just have to add that the hoots of laughter in the pottery class were mainly, ok solely, due to J and her completely wacky sense of humour of which I share of course.

J’ went on to study art at Manchester then took her MA at the Royal College of Art, London. I feel really honored as she has asked me to take part in a roving art exhibition with her and (so far) 8 other artists in 2009 (the Art of Invention). If she will grant me her permission I will link her website and later our exhibition

As an aside and never one to miss an opportunity to clear up a mystery and being a lover of such fine art .... a friend of mine has this lovely piece of marquetry created in Russia C1971, the detail is exquist and I originally thought the light birch was mother of pearl as it so fine. We have discussed its history and it sheds no light on its creator (plus I hope he reads this & the urgent need I have told him to have it framed under glass soon!). I do hope some one spots it so this talented artist can be recognised.

No comments: