Sunday 1 July 2007

Summer of '74 ~ week five day 5

Wednesday 28th August

Got up at 9.30. Went to Southport Zoo with my brother. They nearly kept him in the monkey cage


(I loved Southport Zoo but as I grew up I realised, & you don't see this as a kid, the shocking conditions the animals were kept in. Cages too small and the sad looks on their faces.
Thankfully the Zoo was closed down a couple of years ago)

When I got home I phoned Kate and spoke to Harry (surely not!!!!!!!)

On the way home I saw a workman at our school (faint)
(My secondary school was built in 1973 & I was one of the first pupils in the school. Quite a good thing really in the transition from primary to senior school as there were no 'big kids, waiting to stick your head down the toilet', as my brothers had graciously informed me would happen if I had gone to another school! It was just us first years and every thing was brand new albeit it unfinished. When they started to build the school they found methane gas (oh and rare natterjack toads) in the ground so it was built up on stilts, the wind that howled under those buildings in the winter would cut you in half and being close to the sandhills and beach meant cross country running over them onto the beach... what a killer !
Unfortunately the school closes in August which is a real shame it has not had a chance to have much tradition attached to it in its short life also the reunion/ closure/ night to remember ball that had been arranged has been cancelled too.
But in honour (and our hotel is already booked) a school friend & I are having our own knees up this month and will we visit all our old haunts... I think the West End is beckoning !!! don't think we will remember much by the end of the night lol)


I was instrumental in the design of the school badge, much to the hilarity of my mates now !!

3 comments:

Bill Blunt said...

Well, he did get about a bit in those days, 70s teen!

Kind Regards

THJnr

70steen said...

I thought I had heard that name before!!!!!

Thanks for dropping by
70s

Anonymous said...

the funniest thing about that night was me carrying the booze up to the gods in the hotel. no wonder i neede that op.