Sunday 30 November 2008

30th November 1979







Friday 30
Sam comes up
he arrived at 7.30pm
Went to the flicks to see two films
Went to Follies (nightclub) with my brother and his girlfriend = ok
Went for a long walk along the promenade = cold (mmm November on the sea front in the NW of England is darned cold in the wee small hours..)
Home at 1.30 am

I watched 'Strictly Come Dancing' dance offs earlier (good decision to keep Rachel in although Christina has done amazingly well. Still hopeful that Austin will win though).

As the camera panned around the audience I spotted 'the Fonz'
I said ' hey the Fonz is there!'
My teen said 'who on earth is 'the Fonz'?'
I said 'the Fonz. Arthur "The Fonz" Fonzarelli, Happy Days'
Teen said 'Huh?'
I sang 'Monday, Tuesday Happy Days, Wednesday, Thursday Happy Days tra la la tra la la ... something something .. the week for you!'
This was received with a blank look.
I went on to explain that my dish of American programmes in my teens included Happy Days ..
Still a blank look
So I rooted out the Jackie Annual from 1978... 'this is him'
'well he looks nothing like that now?' teen said
'erm it was 30 years ago when I was the same age as you are now!!'
She proceed to look through the annual .... making comments like .. OMG what is that makeup about? Tell me you never went out dressed like that? Is that Noel Edmunds? How old must he be ?



I loved Happy Days, it was one of my regular T.V. watches then. Teens having fun in middle class America in the 1950s/60.
I guess the Fonz is a kin to your teen bringing home a 'hoody' and then realising they ain't that bad underneath ... once you get past that cocky exterior!!


5 comments:

Olga, the Traveling Bra said...

I loved that show too!

And yeah...I know that blank look all too well...my teen has perfected it!

Daddy Papersurfer said...

'Happy Days' was fantastic.

Talking about 'Follies', did you watch 'Rock Follies'? That was excellent as well but I believe there was some argument over copyright or something which was why it was never repeated - loved Julie Covington ...

70steen said...

Olga ~ teens are great that 'what?' look is priceless lol

70steen said...

Rock Follies was fabulous .. i have featured them in 70s before a while ago .... I wanted to be Rula :-)

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.