Monday 17 November 2008

17th October 1979

Saturday 17
Work 9 - 6 £7.00 = cold all day
Phoned Sam at 7.30

Went for a drink with my brother, Stan & Mike

Home at 11.00




well my first day back at work after 4 weeks off!

My train was 45 minutes late.
It
was raining and I was so cold & wet standing there waiting.
It was all I could do to resist just going home and phoning in 'still not well enough to come in!'


Got to work at 10.55 straight into a meeting that had been on going 25 minutes before my arrival.
(No time to dump my stuff so was accompanied with wet brolly and wet me).
That finished then had another meeting from representatives who had come up from London for 3 hours............. not read any thing on the subject matter for at least 6 weeks!!!


165 e mails which I had managed whittled down to 95 (taking out the emails whose deadline dates I have missed to respond to and Child in Need cake sales, they made over £400, that is a lot of cakes)

I have 2 trips to London in the next 2 weeks and a full diary now up until I finish for the Christmas break
Had a back to work ... 'are you ok?' type interview........

hey ho....
..... home at 18.30...
so much for a gradual edge back into work... erm no chance!!



Reg Varney died yesterday aged 92 . what a good innings though?
Who is Reg Varney many may ask ?


During my teen years in the 70s I was brought up on very un PC British humour. On the Buses, Nearest and Dearest, Love thy Neighbour.

It is a bit like Miss World as I never thought it offensive then.
We laughed at the jokes about colour, creed and sexual preference and double entendre (how do you spell that?)

Today yes we deem it offensive.
Yes we were laughing at differences then .....it was certainly a very different world then... and yes very naive of us.

As an adult can see now see how it would offend but now we should be adult enough to know it was in 'humour' then and by no means with any ill intent?

On the Buses was Reg Varney's big break through. It told of life as a working man and his family in London.

12 comments:

Daddy Papersurfer said...

In at the deep end then ..... oh well. Still as a citizen of this wonderful country I now feel a lot safer knowing you are at the helm protecting me from ner do wells.

Good try arriving late and trying to get the sack BTW .....

Anonymous said...

oh I remember Reg Varney. I think that show was on sunday afternoons in new zealand. my parents liked it, they liked Alf Garnett too

70steen said...

yes beware ner do wells I am back lol

Yes unfortunately cunning plan to get sacked failed ... gosh I am rubbish at plans :-)

70steen said...

oh yes Alf Garnett ... he was extremely un PC indeed.
I liked On the Buses the best though

Daddy Papersurfer said...

Where is everybody? ..... they can't all be at work surely ......

70steen said...

maybe they are ... it is all dependent on time zones which I can never figure out :)

Olga, the Traveling Bra said...

How did Brian work out for ya?

70steen said...

Olga ~ ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh :-D

MedStudentWife said...

Reg Varney died ? And he was that old !!

- another icon gone:(

I used to watch these shows too, and laff. I love the British TV of the 70's & 80's - then all TV went to....

He was funny:) Hate to say this, but they don't make TV the way they used to ( as I walk around the place in my walker and gum my sandwiches)

Olga, the Traveling Bra said...

OoooOOOOooooOOOoooh! :)

70steen said...

Hi MSW & welcome to 70s :-)

yes another icon gone s you say... it is starnge as there are so many famous people I watched on TV back then andI think now omg they are in the 70s/80s or indeed fallen off the perch.
Reg always seemed like a nice chap and very funny

Hee 'walker' that would be a zimmer frame I guess over here

70steen said...

Olga ~ *snigger* ;-D