Wednesday 30 May 2007

Summer of '74 ~ week three days 5 & 6

Wednesday 14th & Thursday 15th August


? ?

Yes 2 days of 'can't be bovvered' it would seem. Just 2 ? marks!!!

I was thinking what else had happened that year in my life before the diary started?

In 1973 I was crown Junior Church Rose Queen so in June 1974 I became the 'Dowerger Queen'. Oh how old did I feel I was a young teen and already a Dowerger. It's a wonder it didn't scar me for life.

I had quite enjoyed being a Rose Queen as you got to go to places for free, attending the local summer fates, the Flower Show and you had fab buffets. As a Queen you got to wear a posh white frock, with a red crushed velvet cloak (oh and lets not forget the crown that would never stay on your head!) and I had a 'retinue' who were at my beck and call. I could get quite used to that life style... are there any Princess out there up for grabs?

The parades were really full affairs with other Rose Queens from all the local churches plus you got ride in dressed up floats that were festooned with flowers, ribbons and crepe paper. You sat on a throne and waved to the crowds. The only down side, as you can imagine at that age, was being spotted by the lads from school............. I image that was embarrassing !


No comments: