Thursday 12 June 2008

12th June 1979

Tuesday 12
Dentist 10.30 am
It was cancelled as I was late
Bought a necklace for 65p & some nail varnish
Tidied my bedroom
Sam phoned 3 times
Put £3 of 1/2 pennies into the bank
It is the Budget today



Oh My! it does amuse me to think that 29 years on I am now involved in (work wise) one of the things I wrote about in this post way back in 1979!! I was clueless then am still now lol !!

From Diane's comments yesterday I just have to give some 70s blog space to this web page .
Oh darn it I missed Donny in Manchester last month!!!

So what else happened to date in 1979 ??

Ayatollah Khomeini returned to Tehran, Iran after nearly 15 years of exile.

Following her 1972 sex change, musician Wendy Carlos legally changes her name from Walter. She later reveals this information in an interview in the May 1979 issue of Playboy. Carlos composed and recorded music for the soundtrack of the film A Clockwork Orange
The Sahara Desert experienced snow for 30 minutes. (Oh Wow!)

Scotland votes narrowly for home rule, which is not implemented, and Wales votes against it (I am saying nuffin')

In a ceremony at the White House, Egypt & Isreal signed a peace treaty.
3 mile Island in Pennsylvania cause a partial meltdown
Nickelodeon Children's channel was launched (gosh I only knew about this channel about 7 years ago!!)

& today in 1979 a chap called Bryan Adams flew a man-powered 'Gossamer Albatross across the English Channel...... rather him than me!!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bryan Adams? hope he was a better flyer than a singer :-)

The Rev. said...

It wasn't really a partial meltdown, it was technically an almost partial meltdown, which is much, much safer! ;)

Anonymous said...

all very interesting you are getting more like DP every day.

70steen said...

NM~ he'd have to be flying a paper aeroplane hee hee
safe journey in the cigar tube heading Spain's way dear friend :-)

70steen said...

Oh Rev~ thank you for putting my mind at rest ...... an 'almost' partial core meltdown in Unit 2 resulting in the release of 13 million curies of noble gases...... phew was that all, what a relief ;-)

70steen said...

Annie ~ I resemble that remark...... just you wait!!!

Daddy Papersurfer said...

Tee hee Annie.

I remember, and I soooo wish you hadn't reminded me, that I used to pay my bus fare to my 'preparatory' school [how posh was I], in farthings!!!!!!

70steen said...

'How posh was I?' what happened DP ... & farthings OMG you are 'that' old *snigger*

Daddy Papersurfer said...

I don't know ........ and I know!

70steen said...

aww but you know we luv's ya ;-)