Saturday 31 January 2009

30th, 31st January ... 1st, 2nd & 3rd February 1980

Wednesday 30
Only in lectures for an hour today
Told the Business Studies lecturer what I thought of his lectures (he was rubbbish and I must have been feisty then too lol)
Sat & chatted to the Sociology lecturer for 1 1/2 hours about my application for Marks & Spencer.
Came home at 2.00
Ironed and put the dinner on (oo what a good daughter !)
Watched TV & did some copying up
Went to bed at 11.00
Sam hasn't rung yet
He has gone to see the Pretenders in concert (lucky thing)


Thursday 31
College at 9.00
Made beefburgers = ok
Went swimming at 1.00 with Chez, Ann B & Debs
Had a great laugh
Sat in Reece's coffee place for rest of 'avo
Came home at 5.30
Did some copying up of work & planned my revision timetable
Sent Marks & Spencer application
Phoned Sam
He said the Pretenders was really good.... swine!!

Friday 1
Had my hair cut at 9.30 by Barry = ok
I am having it permed on the 22nd
Went to all my lectures (see how rare it was I even diarised it !! lol)
Except Sociology this morning (huh??)
Went to the Y.M.C.A. at 4.00 with Ann B & friends
Then went to the Railway in Ainsdale til 9.15.
Me = tired & I have got a headache
Sam phoned at 10.00
He was at the Swan
Got a letter off him too
Bed at 10.15

Saturday 2
Worked 9 - 6 = boring
Did stock all morning & worked in London Street all 'avo
Got home at 6.15
Watched TV and copied up some Sociology notes
Had a bath
Wrote to Sam
Great way to spend a Saturday night !!
Phoned Sam at 6.30
He had been boozing all afternoon

Sunday 3
Got up at 11.00
Washed Basil's cage
Brothers girlfriend came round at 3.00pm
She bought me a bag for my birthday
Worked all afternoon
Did some of Sociology essay
Did a Business Studies essay too
Watched 'The Sicillian Clan' = good
Alain Delon is very sexy!!

Washed my hair
Sam phoned at 11.00 = chatty as usual - honest !! (Honest must have meant 'not!' back then ... )
******************************
I would so have loved to have seen the Pretenders in concert back then :(
On the 2nd February they were knocked of the top spot in the UK charts by The Specials ..The Special AKA Live!.. an EP of a few tracks .. definitely a boy sound .....
  1. "Too Much Too Young"
  2. "Guns of Navarone"

Side B

  1. "Long Shot Kick De Bucket"
  2. "The Liquidator"
  3. "Skinhead Moonstomp"
I was sent this on e mail by my cuz.. I so wish this is actually true lol ..

Kids drawing at school

Dear Ms. Davis

I want to be very clear on my child’s illustration. It is NOT of me on a dance pole on a stage in a strip joint. I work at a home Department and had commented to my daughter how much money we made in the recent snowstorm. This photo is of me selling a shovel.

Mrs. Harrington

hey we have had snow today too ... but I have not been pole dancing, maybe a bit of skating on slush but no pole ;-)

The pup was distraught at the state of her water bowl this morning..

My Michelin Man in the garden (yes he needs a good bath) was 'huh what happened?'

never leave your wellies outdoors

& wherever possible don't attempt to go to work in a blizzard!!


8 comments:

fracas said...

LOL... Mrs. Harrington tells a likely story!

And somehow, fraccy sis... I'm quite sure you were rather feisty then.

Anonymous said...

I still can't believe how much communication went on between you and Sam. Letter writing and phone calls on the same day - almost every day of the week.....

Daddy Papersurfer said...

I wonder if you will be snowed in today - we've got some sun and no sign of more snow. If you do you can practice your pole dancing - are there any Poles near you? ....... and something with those wellies! ..... tsk

70steen said...

yes dear frac I think she protests too much lol

feisty back then ? I never thought I was but there again maybe I was ...[I am a pussy cat really but don't tell anyone;-)]

70steen said...

NM ~I know how intensive was the communication in the days with out a mobile ?? with out the diaries I would have had no idea !

70steen said...

DP ~ no snow today but how bloody cold it has been .. brr on my way to work today my thighs and bottom were frozen...
I have Albanian neighbours and no Poles .. mmm I wonder if Alba dancing has the same ring as Pole dancing???
p.s. the wellies are wasted !!!

Expat mum said...

Ah...End of Jan 1980. I had just done my mock A levels and was burrowing in for the real thing. Never did get to see the Pretenders, but how cool was Chrissie? Despite the lack of co-ordination between her arms and legs, plus the weird top lip, she was probably the one I aspired to be. Did it have a subliminal impact on me in later years, as I moved to the States?

70steen said...

Hi Expat Mum & welcome :-)
Yep this was my A level year too ... as you can see I was taking it all so serious ... not!! I feel such a fraud now as I am trying to encourage my Teen who is about to sit her o'levels (in old money.
Loved Chrissie (weird top lip lol) but I aspired to be Blondie....

[love your book btw had a quickie look before work this morning ... must pop back later :-)]