Monday 27 October 2008

26th & 27th October 1979

Friday 26
Half term
Bought a woollen waistcoat £3.99
Granny died last night at 11.20
Sam phoned at 4.45
Haven't heard from it since

Saturday 27
Sam phoned this morning
Went into Southport with my brother
Bought a pair of mules for £6.99
Wrote to my other brother, Corinna and 'J'
Sam rang twice
Once from the Vines & once at the Chinese chippy

Arrr my dear Granny. Born in 1890 in Scotland, orphaned by the time she was 10 years old.
Lived in England for 50 years but had the strongest Scottish accent still as an old lady. She couldn't cook to save her life and read peoples fortunes through tea leaves.... loved Andy Stewart and gave you Dundee biscuits when you visited her

This was the last photo of her taken in 1977 during the Queens Silver Jubilee celebrations


For those of you who don't know who Andy Stewart is ... here he is.
If you can stand it that is? .... I so detested Andy Stewart after having been forced to watch this type of stuff particularly on the Christmas and New Year programmes as a kid in the 60s, when dear Granny came to stay.


11 comments:

Daddy Papersurfer said...

I never knew my grannies ...... I did have a 'step' grandma I suppose, my mother's father re-married his much younger secretary!!!!

Anonymous said...

orphaned at 10? that's sad....

I preferred andy williams to andy stewart :-)

tNb said...

"She couldn't cook to save her life" but a life of 89 years without cooking ain't bad! ;-)

Annie Mouse said...

no too many years of andy stewart put me off new years eve for ever.

70steen said...

I never knewmy grand dads.. wow yours sounds a lively soul DP???

70steen said...

NM ~ yes she certainly had a tough start in life. I reckon that photo of her and family was taken following her brothers funeral in 1895 .. he died of menengitis aged 16....then her parents died a couple of years apart after that, so was raised by her eldest sister in Edinburgh

70steen said...

tNb ~ I was thinking just that last night as I typed that line.. she survived on simple food and a toto of whisky every night lol

70steen said...

tNb ~ I was thinking just that last night as I typed that line.. she survived on simple food and a toto of whisky every night lol

70steen said...

Oh Annie wasn't it soooo awful every New Year??????

Annie Mouse said...

but you just knew he was going to be on every year, before you got the christmas radio times you just knew.

Olga, the Traveling Bra said...

Gosh! She looks a lot my MY Granny! :)