Thursday 30 August 2007

Diaryless 1977

Sorry can’t find this diary either (so annoying)… but never fear I have a few things to tell!

I have just returned from my jollies with my teen and it reminded me of the holiday that me, mum, Kate’s dad, my brother took in 1977. Not before I was timely reminded by my Mum before we left ‘just remember the holiday we had when you were that age and you were awful a complete madam, you spent most of the time with a face like sucking lemons, you were forever phoning that boy you were going out with and you made our lives an absolute misery!… Good advice, albeit a bit harsh!

The thing with teenagers at that certain stage they only want you as a cash machine or a cafeteria. So bearing this in mind I was the model modern Mum last week. I was a cash machine (but with a definite limit) and with the evolution of the mobile phone text messages were rife… & I cooked but made sure I had a washer upper!

Back to 1977 and this is bit out of sequence…. We went to the Blue Dolphin Holiday Camp in Bridlington. Where we stayed in a chalet.

Mum was right I really didn’t want to be there. Kate was off elsewhere with her boyfriend as she was now 18 and was stuck there with my brother, who equally didn’t want to be there either.

There is a classic photo of me and my bro, which my mum has of us in the Cabaret Lounge we are looking so totally miserable and the lady in the background is laughing

(not at us but the entertainment).

Each night we went to the Cabaret nights, after days out around the area. I must confess, however, one place I visited, I love to this day, was Robins Hood Bay. It is such a beautiful place with its quaint old streets.

So back to the Cabaret. There was this band called ‘SCUD’ who entertained us night in and out. My Mum bought their 45 single. Now to add insult to injury to a holiday as a teen that I didn’t want to be on , she ‘ordered’ me to get their autographs!!

There they were gathered at the bar… grown men and me a teen…. ‘Could I have your autograph, please’ in that small pathetic voice. I have written on the back ‘This belongs to 70steen 23rd August 1977’ so that is 30 years ago almost to the day.

I recall them asking me how I was enjoying my holiday etc etc and they were really ok but I see my teen and how she would react to this situation, nodding and saying ‘yes we are having a great time’ whilst cringing and writhing with every breath & wishing the moment was over. I don't have a record player so have no idea now what this 45 sounds like.

Today I have no fears in that department I just see folk in authority and others who are famous as people doing their thing for a living ………… but then it was the most embarrassing, awkward situation of my life but I suppose it taught me well! It felt, however, like one of these had hit me at the time.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nasty - that could leave scud marks!
[I know, I'm soooo grown up]

70steen said...

Simply a shake of the head and a roll of my eyes............

sylvie d said...

Was it painful?

70steen said...

scared for life Sylvie :-)
Although DP is a close 2nd!!!

Unknown said...

I have to say that UK caravan holidays are becoming more and more popular with time. Maybe its partly due to the latest credit crunch, making holidays at home much cheaper than travelling abroad. So if you are budgeted its a fantastic way to holiday. As for Haven Holidays and inparticular the latest park we went to, Blue Dolphin, well, it's just a stunning place. Perfect for children with plenty of outdoor activities and great for adults with shows and cabarets to keep you entertained if it does rain.