Friday 17 August 2007

1976 Scary Movies

As most of my friends will tell you, I just ‘don’t do scary movies’. I blame it on having 2 older brothers and those black and white Mummy films with Boris Karloff.

I would watch the films sat in the middle of the lounge floor, with the ‘big light’ on and I would then be terrorized by the older brothers afterwards, making ghostly noises.






1976 I was first asked, for the first time, to go the pictures by a boy. I made it clear I wouldn’t go and see a scary movie, no way, no how!

He was obviously a sensitive, romantic soul and suggested we go to see the newly released in the UK…. JAWS!

Yep that seemed ok, a film all about a shark. Certainly there would be no Mummy's lurking. Plus I had a bloke with me, my mate ‘J’, her boyfriend, ‘J’s sister and her mate.

Yes it was an intimate first date, just the 6 of us!!!!!

It actually amused me this week as my teen went to the pictures with a boy from school (arrrh first date) and she took a few of her mates along with her too.

It must be the ‘thing’ to do still after 30 years. (Thank goodness).

So all was well. We were all engrossed in the film. I was sat next my date holding hands (no snogging), wearing that god awful green coat that I wore to London.

Then suddenly out of the water came the rubber shark. All 6 of us jumped in fright, (4 of us screamed) and the whole row of seats we were sitting on collapsed.

The usher came over, we were now laughing hysterically and we got thrown out!!

I watched the film at home with my teen about 6 months ago, she was laughing saying 'OMG Mum how fake is that!'............ ok so it seems now but not then.

No comments: