Thursday 7 May 2009

7th May


Saturday 7 1977
Went to Liverpool with 'J' and her sister
Bought a bag, a patch to put on it, art equipment, ribbon and a sketch book
Saw my Auntie Joyce and cousin Doll and her 2 kids in Liverpool
Saw 'Our Kid'
**************************************

It was definitely the fashion in 1977 to put patches on everything (we were in a fabric shop on Monday (buying material for a blind for the bathroom & buttons) & I pointed out to Teen the patches on a rack and said 'hey look patches, you could get some and decorate your clothes'... I got 'that' look that only teenagers can give ... 'I guess not then?' I will give a her a couple of months at 6th form and she will come round lol

In 1977 I can guarantee it was probably one of these patches
I am 99.9% sure I chose the peace fingers that day
...
In the Jackie Annual of 1977 they encouraged 'patching' to brighten up your clothes.. I must say I have tried hand patching and quilting and it is quite laborious to say the least

This brings me nicely onto a programme I came across this evening 'Kirstie's Homemade Home' on C4.... Kirstie Allsop is doing up some home in Devon by hand .. buying discarded furniture and painting it, distressing it also making curtains et al from remnants of fabrics .... oh and there is knitting too. Bugger I have been doing that for years .... why am I not famous??

My vision is to open a fabric shop with workshops for those who have not been taught to sew/knit/ make do as they were growing up (my teen has certainly not been taught to cut out a pattern and make a garment, where as I was taught it and can make most things).. along with a coffee shop where artists can display their wares ... I have not the money to do do this but in this time of recession I think it is the way forward. mmm I wonder should I be on 'The Apprentice'?

Oh almost forgot 'Our Kid'... a Liverpool group discovered on 'New Faces' in 1976 ... a one hit wonder but my mate Annie Mouse has never forgiven me for seeing them back in '77 although I have no recollection of it .. apart from when is written in my diaries !!!

14 comments:

HelpXtra said...

I always said you'd make a wonderful wife, if I send you the wool can you make me one? Oh, and no milk or sugar in my coffee, ta.

Daddy Papersurfer said...

I'd be quite happy demonstrating how to apply anti-woodworm fluid to wooden legs whilst wearing a card board box on your head. A niche market perhaps but full of potential .......

Anonymous said...

My mother could sew and knit beautifully. alas, I can do neither

70steen said...

GW ~ would that be in 2 ply or chunky??

70steen said...

DP ~ Niche markets are good ... hey you could even do 'guest grouting' events .... the opportunities are endless... Dungeons & Dragons here I come lol

70steen said...

NM~ ooo you could come to my classes.. it is funny my mum can knit but can't sew for toffee... I can do both but teen is the worst knitter ever but can sew sort of... (well she better pull her finger out there as she doing textiles at college!!)

Annie Mouse said...

you should show the link of how Our Kid look now even more scarey than their teen years, bless them.

hi Daddy long time no speak

HelpXtra said...

Either will be fine as long as she has macrame knickers.

70steen said...

Hi Annie WB... buggered if I can find that link just now

Daddy P will be happy to see you here .. although ny now he will have his slippers on and will be on his 3ed glass of malt ;-)

70steen said...

GW~ Macrame knickers ?? Woh that is the advanced class .. no macrame here that is the devils work .. however chunky knits far quicker that 2 ply ... the choice is yours ;-)

70steen said...

OKAY everyone .. Our Kid today .. thank you Annie
do take a look

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91w1GOxifuU

Daddy Papersurfer said...

Hello Annie!!!! just got in from London - I drive much better after a couple - tee hee [WATER - GLASSES OF WATER! - boring]

Expat mum said...

I loved that song! They were actually not bad - better than many in our day! And I SO agree about the knitting/craft dearth in young people (How old do I sound?) At my primary school, the boys went out to play footie and us girls had to stay indoors and learn to knit and sew. Mind you - I was knitting cable mittens at the tender age of ten!

70steen said...

HI EPM ~ yes I know what a dearth of young folk being totally unable to make stuff .. my teen included (although she is off to college to do Textiles ... gawd I hope they teach her something ... she can thread up a machine so that is a plus point.. oh and make fancy pictures with thread .. but make an actual garment , mm no chance)

It was a bit like that at my school that you witnessed except the boys did metalwork, woodwork and tech drawing us girlies did cooking, needlework and art !! oh how times have changed :)