Friday 1 May 2009

1st May random years

Thursday 1 1975
Had an argument in art about the Bay City Rollers
Nearly got beaten up (really? I don't think so!!)


Now you see I was Mud fan and didn't rate BCR (although I went to see them in concert dressed in my cropped jeans with tartan on) Mud were great... who could forget dancing to 'Tiger Feet'
Can't resist this..... it has to get your toes tapping :-)


Sunday 1 1977
With Moggie all night (well not all night obviously !)
Only talking
Lent Banksy 10p (bet I didn't get it back)
Bev says Dave fancies me
but I know she is only messing
Worked 1.30 - 4.30
Ange fancies Martin

This so reminds me of my Teen who is a similar age now.... who fancies who? Who is going out with who? etc.... ahh times don't change that much when hormones are involved lol ;-)

Saturday 1 1982
Went to see 'The Gamekeeper' by Barry Hines
Singing in the bar at night - good (not sure if that was me or a singer ??)

Interestingly the entry the day before said I went to a talk by 'McVicar', John McVicar.
In the 60s he was '
public enemy number 1' an armed robber who incidentally had a dead or alive reward on his head. (Do we still have dead or alive tags?? Probably not!)

He did get 'nicked' eventually and was sentenced to 26 years ... in 1978 he was released (
he must have been a good boy mostly even though he did escape a bit).
Whilst in prison he got himself a degree in an " 'ology "and wrote 'McVicar' which was made into a film starring Rog
er Daltrey (which I don't think I have seen).

I don't recall the content of his talk this far on in years but I do remember he was a very awesome, in your face, charismatic speaker.


Sunday 1 1983
Motor racing at Donnington Park
It poured with rain all day (mmm sounds about right!!)

Yahoo it is a long weekend :0) .. I do like May( in one breath) as we have two extra days off ... but in another breath unfortunately I am maxed out at work just now and those 2 days will cause me huge catch up ... gawd I wish people would stop giving me deadlines .... (plus can someone remind me I am in London on Tuesday and need to be out of bed for 5 am!!)

On the cards this Bank Holiday weekend is painting the dining room and getting my teen fitted for her Prom dress (sorry everyone in the USA but I am pulling my tongue out at you and blowing a big raspberry... we never had such a thing here in the UK before just and end of school disco...) The handmade dress Teen has her eye on is £190 gawd I don't think my wedding dress was much more than that?????

11 comments:

HelpXtra said...

They do some good quality (even designer labels) clothes in some of the charity shops in Chi, i'll take some photos for you, your Teen will never notice, what colour does she want, even with my finder's fee, it won't cost £50............

70steen said...

GW thanks ... don't think I have not tried that one (huge sigh from a Mum under pressure)... I thought we had actually cracked it with a bargain buy she saw in the sale (£30) but they didn't stock it in store at Vestry but was available online and yes they were out of stock!!! Why oh why don't they teach sewing in school these days ....... she could have made her own or be in a position that she would know I could make a Prom dress

fracas said...

Oh fraccy sis... we are in the same boat. No prom here, but graduation dresses cost in the $500 CAD range. I find it totally ridiculous. Son #1 could rent his tuxedo and everything necessary including shoes and all for about $100.

Hugs to you... I sure know what you're feeling like right now.

In other thoughts, lovely idea to compare same day-different-year for your theme. It's neat to compare how one was from one year to the next.

I was never a diary writer, so have nothing at all but what's locked up in the old fraccy noggin.

Daddy Papersurfer said...

Kids nowadays don't know they're born ..... in my day I was lucky to have a cardboard box to wear [nothing new there then].

Does anyone else fear the phrase 'what's locked up in the Fraccy noggin'?

Be affeared - be very affeared - tee hee

Anonymous said...

isn't it strange how criminals can become celebrities? Over here they run around giving talks at RSL clubs and the punters are desperate for tickets. These people are basically thugs (Roger Rogerson was a crooked cop who broke all the commandments - even thou shalt not murder) but they are still esteemed by others.

Fancy paying good money to hear someone boast how he and his mates put a body through a mincer so it would never be found.....

diane said...

We have a very nice posh frock hire place near me, such a good idea as these sorts of dresses get worn once and then are left to fester in the wardrobe (or sold on eBay - now there's a thought!)

I once met a guy in the South of France (tactfully, I forget his name) who was known as Scotland's most violent man and who was a convicted murderer. He is now a sculptor and writer and seemed perfectly nice and normal and was living down there with his family.

70steen said...

Dear Frac ~ it is all such a big hype con which us parents are unable to resist as we would be the big bad dragons in the future when our kids look back.... I hate this sort of pressure

I am amazed daily when I read my diaries (my noggin didn't retain much!!)and I am so glad I kept them 'back in the day' as I had forgotten so much trivia that went on ..... I have tied to encourage Teen to keep one but she is not interested .. I even thought I would keep one for her but there simply are not enough hours in a day lol :-)

70steen said...

DP ~ Fraccy's noggin is a brilliant world to be explored .. I am not afraid as I am a coven member *evil laughter*

70steen said...

NM ~ you are so right in what you say ... it must be some human voyeurism trait that attracts us to see how the bad guys lived and what they did ... although putting another human through a mincer is not something I would want to listen to

70steen said...

Diane ~ I have tried the dress hire thingy (I would have been happy with that)but Teen is set on this 'individual' approach .. the designer she has chosen has guaranteed that no one at her prom will have the same dress .... indeed nothing even near it .... *sigh* I so wish she hadn't said that !!

Wondering about the Scottish guy you met .... I wonder did he get in bad company as a youth because he felt differently to others but what he was was actually an artist with loads of passion but that passion when he was younger manifested itself as violence??

fracas said...

Agreed 70steen, DP should be afeared of the fraccy noggin' but not the witchy coven mates... we fraccy sis's stick together...

(I had a thing for those Bay City Rollers when I was in the seventh and eighth (or somewhere about there) grade. LOL... I don't think I realized they weren't about girls.