Thursday 20 September 2007

1978 January/ February week 5

Sunday 29th Jan

Got up at 12.00 pm.
Did English and Maths H/W
Bev phoned
Phoned Fi.

Sam phoned from Formby village. They have sold their house and they must be out by April. (his parents were moving to Staffordshire… oh no!!!!)
Went to Tiffany’s at 7.30.

Billy Butler off Radio Merseyside was there got a Billy Butler badge (wow!!)

(for those of you South of the Mersey or further a field Billy Butler is a leg end up here, later than 1978 he used to do a Sunday morning phone in programme called 'Hold your Plums' where the thickest of thick people would phone in. He would ask a question and they would say 'give us a clue Billy?' if they got the question right they would pull the arm of a one armed bandit and try to get 3 plums for a prize........ Pot 8 toes is a classic! It is a must hope the link works!)

Monday 30th Jan

Had a careers talk this afternoon and I have decided to go to Colquitt Catering College in Liverpool (see what all those reports in the early 70s have done I wanted to be a professional domestic goddess!)

Served teas at school for 1st years parents evening.

Watched ‘Hazell’ and ‘The Night they raided Minsky’s’
(so loved the Hazell series… must check out the box set)

Sam & Bev phoned
Sam is coming to meet me tomorrow after school

Tuesday 31st Jan

Went to have a look round the High School 6th form this morning = rubbish (now this was the all girls High School which wore green uniforms and I failed my 11+ & 12+ attempting to get in , although I didn’t want to go there)

It was freezing cold as it had snowed the night before.
Read Mayor of Casterbridge chapters 37 -43
Sam met me out of school & he came round here. Had a good time (I sure now know what that is a code for!!!!!)
He got 5.30 train back to Art College.
Met him at the ‘Brick’ at 8.00, had 2 games of pool.
Came home at 10.00 pm then went to ‘J’s until 10.45 pm. I left my scarf in the ‘Brick’

Wednesday 1st Feb

Had my careers interview today at 11.15am. Mr. H. reckons (and you will split your sides over this one) I should go in for journalism (hee hee ) & I should take Economics, Geography and Sociology A’level.

Went swimming. Sam was there waiting for me, stayed there until 5.15.
Went to the ‘Brick’ and got my scarf back.

Sam phoned. We had a stupid argument but everything is ok now.

Thursday 2nd Feb (7 weeks)

Went to Liverpool Polytechnic with Patricia (her dad had something to do with the college)
It was dead good.
Went round the graphics department, fashion and weaving etc.

Went to Kirklands for dinner. Had hot baked potato (well it wouldn’t be cold would it?) in chicken & mushroom sauce & a glass of cider.

(In the 80s I went to Liverpool Poly (not to do art malheureusement) and Kirklands was one of our favourite haunts, many a great night was had there. It was originally Kirkland's bakery building (35 Hardman Street, Liverpool 1), and in the 1980s became a wine bar apparently now it is called The Fly In The Loaf)

Came home at 13.45.
Met Bev out of school.
Bought Sam a Valentine’s card (the home made one must have been binned!)
Phoned ‘J’
Sam phoned me he was on the phone for about ½ hour.
Brother is in a right paddy = row with his girlfriend. (best keep out the way I feel)

Friday 3rd Feb
Sam called for me at 6.15 pm got the train at 6.40 pm.
Went to the railway pub then to his house.
Don’t think he is very well as he is full of cold (obviously man ‘flu! but would not have realised that then!)
He went to Leeds Polytechnic today and said it was ok.

Saturday 4th Feb

Worked 9.30 – 5.00

Sam met me for dinner at 1.15 pm.Bought a pair of leg warmers £1.99, a Woodstock wind up toy 99p(wow just looked on the web and someone is selling one for $5.00) & a highlighter for my hair. Sam was in a bad mood thought it was something I had done.

Met Fi & Bev after work in the ‘Brick’
Martin & ‘J’ came round to ours had a good laugh.

I asked Sam if he was a virgin before me = yes (OMG!!… I can’t believe I asked him that! & I can’t believe that he spoke the truth either!)

7 comments:

Daddy Papersurfer said...

We never had such classics as 'Hold you Plums' down in the southern counties.... thank heavens for that.
And, of course you were the first [and probably the last, poor begger]

70steen said...

you don't know what you missed!!

So what you are trying to say DP is I was the first and he couldn't get over me (mmm !! that sounds a bit strange but i know what I mean!!) :-P

Daddy Papersurfer said...

He's probably gay now

70steen said...

How do you know?? Even his mother doesn't :-P
(Sam if you are reading this ignore him)

Anonymous said...

mayor of casterbridge? I loved that book. thomas hardy is my hero

70steen said...

You know NM I haven't read Hardy since I was at school. Maybe it is time I take a second look :-)

Anonymous said...

well my dear 70's at that time my husband lived in kirklands with his two mates A and L so you will definately have come across him there. he was never out of there.

i had my 21st in chaucers across the road.