Friday 14 September 2007

1977 Other Employment

Once the outdoor café shut I was out of work for the season. I had to reapply for the shoe shop and oh no they had no vacancies!! I had heard that Floral Hall and Southport Theatre were advertising for staff so off I went.

I managed to get myself a job as an usherette.

I worked odd evenings during the week and weekends.

It was an amusing job to say the least. I was one of the gals with a tray of ice cream (hey my reputation as ice cream queen must have gone before me).

It was a time when Ken Dodd had a show on there with his Diddy Men and the cue to enter the theatre was after the first act Ken would start singing ‘we are the Diddy Men and we come from Knotty Ash’……

with that, us usherettes would cascade from the back of the theatre with our trays of ice cream tubs, lollies and choc ices.

Another show that was a regular there was ‘Mr & Mrs’ with Derek Batey. Where married couples would have to answer questions about their spouse to win a carriage clock or some other naff prize.

I met Derek back stage and was alarmed by his bright orange tan make up but I must say he was a really charming man who took time out to speak to us workers.

But the highlight, I must say, of my 3 months there was the wrestling. It was on a Wednesday or Thursday night and not many of the staff wanted to be usheretting there, so I said I would do it.

I was brought up watching the wrestling on TV on a Saturday … a recipe of the greats such as Big Daddy and shouting at the telly.... so I was really intrigued to see it for real. I found it was actually what you would see on telly and I would stand at the back, inside shouting!….. very dramatic with the acting pin downs, submissions and knock outs. The best, however, was the old ladies with their handbags rushing up to the ring shouting abuse (yes they did do this for real), I wouldn’t have missed it for the world as they got so enraged by the bad boys getting the better of the goodies. Such showmanship to behold!

The Big Daddy sideshow was a family affair with his daughter and family members selling the merchandise at the side of the ring.

I met Giant Haystacks one evening in a narrow corridor that ran at the back of the stage. He really was a HUGE giant of a man … to me as a 70steen he looked 7 foot tall and about that wide. I had to back up with my tray to let him pass.

I also met Jim Breaks who was a real gentleman

.

But the funniest was Rollerball Rocco who tried to chat me up. Thank goodness I was a teen with a modicum of commonsense and walked away!

I only left there as the shoe shop rang me to say they had a vacancy, which paid more plus I was not doing evenings. The pull of shoes was far greater than what a wrestler could ever offer in a leotard.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

yep... shoes win out of wrestling any day

Anonymous said...

Now I would have thought that Nursemyra would have enjoyed wrestling a man...... ummmmm.
Anyway, 70's, was Ken Dodd good on stage? - I have always suspected he probably was [apart from the Diddy Men].

70steen said...

So lovely to see you back nursemyra x

70steen said...

Can't recall whether he was or not as I was busy selling my wares (but I do suspect he was!!)

sylvie d said...

Now I understand how you handle DP so well :-)

Anonymous said...

yes daddyp I do enjoy wrestling a man.... but I have a weakness for shoes...

thanks 70steen

70steen said...

yes Sylvie a half nelson usually brings submission :-)

70steen said...

Mursemyra .... I am with you on that one completely you can't beat a nice pair of heels :-)

Anonymous said...

ah yes, I'd forgotten about this post of yours. thanks for reminding me.

Giant Haystacks - what a name :-)

Anonymous said...

saturday and wrestling were a great memory for me. you could hear my grandad at the top of his street shouting at the telly when the wrestling was on. i really loved that man.

Anonymous said...

God, reading this is brings back memories!! Seems like I had a similar job to you at the Colston Hall in Bristol selling the tickets for the wrestling and serving refreshments.

I did it for 3 summers 80-83 when I was a student in Bristol. And to my acute embarassment now, I had a fling with a wrestler called Danny Collins aka Danny 'boy' Collins. He was from the area and had a regular slot at the Colston. My friends thought it was hilarious which looking back I see why it might have been to them!

He was actually a really nice guy and did loads of work for charities in the area when he wasn't in the ring. Along with his charm, I think I had a thing at the time for a hunk in trunks and his Boston Crab submission move sent me weak at the knees!! Really sad I know but I put it down to the naivete of youth!

Through him, I met a couple of the other wrestlers including Jim Breaks and Mark Rocco. Also remember a guy called Steve Grey who was a close friend of Danny's at the time.

We lost touch when I left to live/work in the real world and he went to wrestle in Germany. I think I saw a while back that he is STILL wrestling...OMG he is middle aged!

Great blog by the way, keep up the good work!

Best wishes

Karen

70steen said...

HI Karen & thank you for dropping in & your lovely comments:-)

Wasn't the wrestling such great fun to work alongside.

Just had a google & oooo Danny 'Boy' Collins was a handsome chap (he probably still is) I am not surprised you were sent weak at the knees with his moves.

Do pop by again
Best wishes to you too
70s :-)

Anonymous said...

Hi 70steen

Just burning the midnight oil again trying to meet (another!)work deadline for tomorrow am. Very tedious and not a little depressing so your reply has lightened my mood...many thanks!

Yeah, like you I used to really enjoy doing the "wrestling shifts" as the "manageress" at the time used to call them! There was always a great buzz and there was actually something to do in complete contrast to the bingo, country dancing and the Rotary Club meetings! Fortunately I dont think the manageress discovered my dalliance with Danny, as I suspect she would have banished me from the wrestling shift!

Yeah, I have just googled him myself and I have certainly done worse both before and since!! Its weird looking back, God I feel so old!!

Anyway back to report writing, but do you fancy chatting sometime?

Take care

K