Monday 17 September 2007

1978 Happy New Year

Sunday 1stJan

New Year ‘DO’ at Tiffany’s

Got up at 11.45 am (still obsessed with time I see).
My head is a bit heavy cos I was drinking ‘Scots Mac’ & Martini last night.

(now I have no idea what Scots Mac is/was so had to look it up on the t’internet…. "A blend of mature British Wine and Fine Malt Whisky" no wonder my head hurt. The link is quite amusing btw! I can’t imagine where I had been for New Years Eve to drink such a hideous thing!)

Bev and ‘J’ phoned.
Sam phoned about 4.30 & 5.00 pm (I have decided to call the ‘boy’ Sam as it would have been my choice of boys names if I had a son, seems as good a name as any).

Went to Tiffany’s. Called at ‘J’s first for a drink.
Bev was upset about some bloody lad again.

Tiffany’s was a nightclub that was at the end of the road from where I lived. It was originally a cinema I believe in the 50s, then it was a nightclub called the Moulin Rouge. Apparently in May 1967 Pink Floyd gigged there. Spookily that was the time we moved to the area from Liverpool.

In 1975 Tiffany’s opened.

During this diary this venue will be mentioned a lot. On a Sunday night it was the under 18’s disco (I can’t believe they had a night for under 18s the day before school). They didn’t sell
alcohol in that bar but they had an over 18s bit… so guess where me and my mates ended up?)

Monday 2nd Jan

Got up at 11.00am.
Washed my hair & then ‘J’ came round. Took her dog for a walk round the cemetery. Sam phoned at 3.30 & 5.15 pm. Went to his house.
Train was late had to wait ½ hour. Went via Rick’s house cos we had to take some records back (obviously Sam was waiting for me at the station, oh the age before mobile phones he would have been there and no way of knowing were I was… how did we cope?)

Watched ‘The Two Ronnies’

Sam lent me 3 Snoopy books (awww!)

Terrible winds outside nearly got blown away on my way home.

Tuesday 3rd Jan

Got up at 8.00 am.
Sam called for me at 9.00 am.
Went to Liverpool.

I bought a ‘blanket’ coat in the sales for £20.00 = ok. (£20.00 that was a heck of a lot of money then and oh how I remember that coat. I have surfed the t’internet for a similar image in vain…. Nothing can compare to the brown, beige, cream random pattern on this midi length hooded monstrosity but they were all the rage then)

We had our dinner in Solitaire.
Sam bought a sketch pad and a Paddington pencil for me.
I phoned Sam at 8.15 pm.
Bev and ‘J’ phoned.
Had a bath & washed my hair.

Watched Q7- Spike Milligan & ‘Scully’ they were great

Wednesday 4th Jan

Back to skool.
Maffia Dance at the Midnight Lounge.
Met Sam at the F&G (Fox & Goose) at 8.00 pm. Went to the Midnight Lounge = quite good.

‘J’ dancing with Adam all night. Sam = a bit drunk.
Left about 12.00 am. Had to hide from this mate of Sam’s so he could not get a taxi with us (oh how tight is that?)

Skool is terrible Fi is off with flu.

Thursday 5th Jan

3 weeks (that must mean the number of weeks with Sam)
Another boring day at skool.
Jackie went to the hospital about her back, she has to wear a corset too cos she has rhemetism? (just remember I type how I see it!!!)

Bev phoned
Sam phoned. He is going to the Dr. tomorrow cos he cannot breathe properly nor swallow.
Fi phoned. She maybe back at skool tomorrow.

Watched ‘Why Shoot the Teacher’ = quite good (one for you Frac!)
Did French & German homework (YUK!!!)

Friday 6th Jan

Anthony R got battered by Terry B cos Anthony battered Terry’s brother in. Anthony came off worse.

Sam phoned at 3.50 but I wasn’t in.
I phoned him at 6.00pm.
He came round at 7.15 pm & went at 11.15pm.

Watched ‘Gangsters’ & listened to Stevie Wonder, Sex Pistols etc

Bev at Tiffany’s & Toby Inn
Sam did not go to the Dr’s (coward)
Fi is back at school.

Saturday 7th Jan

Sunday School Chrimbo Party = OK

Went to town with Sam at 2.00 pm. Bought a ‘V’ neck brown jumper for £1.99 ½ at ‘LEX’ (those were the days of ½ pennies)

Went to El Cabala for a coffee. Saw Bev there.
Went to party at 4.00pm. Got home at 6.30.
Phoned ‘J’ and Bev.
Sam phoned at 6.40. He came round at half 7.
Got bus into town. Played pool at the ‘Brick’
Saw loads of mates from skool.
Had 2 Martinis came home at 11.00 pm

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

So you come from Liverpool originally - this is worse than I thought.
I will have to completely reassess our relationship now.
Seeing the Sex Pistols mentioned reminded me I was at college with Malcolm McLaren and little Helen who was in the 'Great Rock and Roll Swindle'. She was very nice - he was a prat.... I can't be fairer than that!

70steen said...

Watta ya mean ... what relationship ..... what we have stryck up a relationship, now that is worse than I thought!!!! (below just refering you to the scene setting post)
http://diaryofa70steen.blogspot.com/
2007/05/i-guess
-next-step-in-this-to-set-scene.html

ooo name drop name drop ....... (he looks a prat btw)

Anonymous said...

I met Ian Hislop last Saturday as well - gosh

70steen said...

oh my head is spinning with the mere mention of your celeb spotting

Anonymous said...

I think one of our patients at the gimcrack has a coat like the one you mentioned....

70steen said...

So that is where it ended up??? :-)