Tuesday 11 September 2007

1977 Silver Jubilee

Well I can’t ‘do’ 1977 without mentioning HM QE II’s Silver Jubilee, can I?

There is some stuff in my scrapbook that I collected at the time.

The year started off with a tad of embarrassment for Her Majesty when Princess Anne got booked for speeding. She was fined £40 for doing 96mph on the M1.

My memories of the festivities certainly are colourful because Mum bought a colour telly especially for the occasion. What a wonder that was. How different the world of TV looked. Didn’t you just love those old sets? No remote controls, we had to ask permission to switch over the channels and when the tube was going you would bash it on the top so the picture wouldn’t roll. It was always the case too when you ‘got the man out’ it would work perfectly!!!

So we had a colour telly and ITV decided to call a strike...... what no Rock Follies and racing from Sandown?? Thank goodness for the good old Beeb!

The Jubilee brought out the best in people, neighbours got together for street parties and there was bunting and flags everywhere you went. The sun shone and in my mind folk were happy.


The Queen did a tour of her United Kingdom through the summer and I went to see her in Liverpool and York. I had a nanosecond of fame as I was on News at 10 in the crowd at York as she shook the girls hand next to me.

Within the scrap book I have saved some adverts from the era.

Good old Max!!


But this is my favourite image of the Jubilee. It is my dear Grannie. She had a stroke in 1975 and was not very well at all but the home where she stayed certainly made sure that the residents enjoyed the Jubilee.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

'Rock Follies' is on DVD!!!!!! Now that is useful information. I wonder if it's as good as I remember it.
Penfold just bought the TG 'Ever Decreasing Circles' - fantastic still.
Your Gran looks nice - how come you're related?

70steen said...

I loved Rock Follies I wanted to be Rula Lenska!!!!
Ever Decreasing Circles is also a classic (have you seen how old Richard Briars looks now?? Sorry Richard)

How come we're related ... erm coz she is my dad's mum .. dummy!! hee hee hee

Mystic Veg said...

Wasn't Rock Follies where the Buzzcocks got their name from as in "It was a buzz, cock"?

70steen said...

Well MV as I already know you are a mind of all things mystical and knowing ... but I had to surf just to see and came across this blog
http://oldpunks.blogspot.com/2005/11/whats-buzzcock.html

:-)

70steen said...

Doh it did not copy the whole thread..


http://oldpunks.blogspot.com/2005/11/
whats-buzzcock.html

Anonymous said...

So many memories came flooding back when I read this! I admire the fact that you kept so much stuff - I have always been proud of the fact that I am a ruthless 'thrower away' of 'stuff', but now I'm beginning to wonder!! I do remember winning the 3-Legged race at school sports with my best friend on Jubilee Day - despite being 15 years old!!!! Lucy

70steen said...

Hi Lucy
It is not me who kept it all but my mum ... then she passed them back to me & now I just can't throw them out. It must be that 40 something age thing!! Some of the stuff has made me laugh but also cringe terribly.
3 legged race is a hoot not done that in years either.
Glad you are enjoying this trip through our 70s
:-)

Anonymous said...

how sweet does your gran look.

i remember being in the guides o some such thing when the queen came to bootle. or did she do a tour years before that maybe when i was brownie age.