Saturday 15 September 2007

1977 Simply Perfect



As I entered 5th form life I was called in by my tutor … what had I done? I was racking my brains as to what misdemeanor I had been caught out doing. Just couldn’t think what, as we were only just back!!!

I stood in front of my form tutor, palms clamy and sweating.




Well blow me down she told me I had been made a Prefect and I would run the red team. I smiled (& almost laughed out hysterically due to the relief) and said thank you. But that was not all ……



'Also 70steen I need to ask you if you would care to be Deputy Head Girl too?’




I remember all things running through my head… like my mates taking the mickey, being called a geek, girly swot etc but on the other hand thinking of all the privileges it would bring……. the main one being no more out in the cold at break in the winter under the school building huddled behind a wall… the choice was made……



‘Oh yes please I would love to’



There was another accolade yet to come though. Despite me no longer being able to take part in sporting events I was voted by my House (Bowland) to be House Captain. That actually meant more to me than being Deputy Head Girl as I was voted in by my peers. I did have a bit of a dilemma though, Bowland House was blue and I was running the red team of Prefects. All in all it was pretty darned

October brought the first report. It was not as detailed as previous ones (but how could it be as we had only been back a matter of weeks) it simply had the subjects and three headings - Achievement, Effort & Behaviour categorized A –E
A = Excellent - E = cause for serious concern

So at the start of my O’level year

English Lang & Lit ~ B/B/B
Mathematics ~ B/B/B
Geography ~ A/B/A
Biology ~ B/B/B
German ~ B/B/B
French ~ C/C/C (no surprise there)
Art/Pottery ~ A/A/A
PE ~ excused
Form Tutor ~ A good report. 70steen must make more effort to improve her grades in French (I know you have been telling me this since I started)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I knew it!!!! A closet swotter, goody goody, "Can I help you with that Miss?", brown nose, achiever.

[Was it good? - I kept such a low profile at school they thought I was a plank]

70steen said...

No I was not a closet swotter brown noser ... I was just my nice, pleasant, caring, sweet natured self that you have seen so often :-)


So I guess you got walked on a bit at skool then????? Hope you gave them splinters