Thursday 27 September 2007

1978 Interlude

As a break from the constant phone calls and pub crawls I thought I would surf for a few world events that occurred January to March 1978.

18th January

The European Court of Human Rights finds the UK Government guilty of mistreating prisoners in Northern Ireland but not guilty of torture……..
It was an icy cold day frost everywhere. I went swimming.

23rd January

My mates were drunk in Tiffany’s and I was counting Birthday cards meanwhile......
Sweden became the first nation to ban aerosol sprays because of the damage to the earth’s ozone layer. I had no idea about then about an 'ozone', I can’t even recall what
deodorant I used then whether it was an aerosols or not. I know I used Mum roll on but that may have been later.

1st February

My careers interview where comically my careers teacher suggested I become a journalist…oh and I played pool in the ‘Brick, whilst ........

Roman Polanski skipped bail and fled to France after pleading guilty to having sex with a 13 year old. I do remember this as I was a teen and thought ewwww how gross!

13th February

Anna Ford makes her debut ...
whilst I washed my hair & had a bath and got on down to Exodus and I was unfaithful to Donny with David Cassidy

15th February

When mass murderer Ted Bundy was captured
I was … yes playing pool in the Brick

21st February

Some electrical workers in Mexico found the remains of the Great Pyramid of Tenochtitlan in the middle of Mexico city… absolutely fascinating stuff

In 70s world it has snowed a little, Bev had had a telling off by her mum about her diaries and Sam had been to London.

1st March

.. oh yes I had been off school all week with ‘red ‘flu’ and went to a dsco whilst

Charlie Chaplin’s remains were being stolen from Cosier-sur-Vevey in Switzerland

14th March.

Israeli forces invade Lebanon in Operation Litani.
I was sitting a Maths exam on equations & I let my drainys in.

17th March

I was doing a German Oral exam and this has shocked me as it was the day that the Amoco Cadiz ran aground on the coast of Brittany (I do recall that event vividly) 5 days later it split in two and spilled 220,000 tonnes of crude oil. I went to Portsall 2 years ago where the anchor is, what a beautiful coastline... no so 31 years ago

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Why oh why didn't the media pick up on your visits to the 'Brick' and your pool playing skills? They missed out there.
Am I being thick? The 'red' flu - is this your periodical excuse for bad temper, sulking and superiority to menfolk?

70steen said...

Yes you are being thick!!!
When have I shown bad temper or sulking ..... :-P

Anonymous said...

were aerosol deodorants around back then? I can only remember using the roll on types but then again I did grow up in new zealand....

Anonymous said...

Most of the time actually ....... you're certainly very grumpy today ........ and I wrote such a nice poem for you as well.

70steen said...

Oh I hadn't realised that the poem was for me ... those words you spoke with such glee
I will take it as a compliment
& take the lovely words in the spirit you must have meant :-)

Anonymous said...

This must stop, there isn't time
To always comment in rhyme
To waste my day in this way
Wouldn't be that unusual actually now I think about it.

70steen said...

Hi NM
I don't recall either what we used deodorant wise
I know there was a lot of talc about in those days

Anonymous said...

my mum and i often went with my dad and brother to the away matches to watch everton and whilst the went to the match mum and i would go what we would call window shopping. i think it was either west ham or east ham wotever anyway, anna came hurtling out of a shop into her car that was parked on double yellow lines and off she went with a smile to us. she is quite aged now isn't she she must of been quite old when he started reading the news, you know what i mean old to us as teeanagers.